You know what the best part of cooking for one is? You don’t have to cater to anyone else’s dietary restrictions and YOU can make exactly what YOU want to eat!!! Sure, it may be a little tricky finding recipes for one or to find the inspiration to cook up a whole meal just for yourself after a LONG day of work. But with this simple easy recipe, you can make delicious meals for yourself that are healthy, without wasting food and save money by not eating out.
Fall is the worst time for food choices for a type one diabetic like myself. Everything is always, fat filled, carb loaded goodness and although I would LOVE to indulge in ALL of it, my diabetes does get in the way of the fall carb overload.
As almost any person I LOVE PIZZA but obviously with the carb intake I can’t really eat all of that bread. I recently came across this Cauliflower Pizza Recipe from POPSUGAR Fitness. I made some adjustments to the recipe and added my own twist. Here are the ingredients I used:
- Nonstick spray
- 2 1/2 cups cauliflower, grated (a little less than the whole head)
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (I used the Weight Watchers Reduced Fat Four Cheese Italian Blend Shredded Cheese)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- Fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 425° F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray (I made the mistake and used aluminum foil the first time I made it and it stuck bad, bad, bad – make sure to use the parchment paper!!!!)
- Remove the stems and leaves from your cauliflower and chop the florets into chunks. Add to a food processor and pulse until the texture is similar to rice. I am sure a grater will work for this as well.
- Place cauliflower in an uncovered microwave-safe bowl and cook for 7 minutes
- Remove the cooked cauliflower from the microwave and mix in the egg, one cup shredded cheese, Parmesan cheese, a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread dough out evenly over baking sheet (about ¼ to ⅓ of an inch thick)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the crust is golden, crispy on the edges and cooked through the middle.
- Remove the crust from the oven.
- Top with pizza sauce and toppings. (Be careful not to add too many heavy toppings as you don’t want to weigh down the crust!)
- Put the pizza back in for 5-10 minutes, or until the toppings are hot and the cheese is melted. Allow the pizza to cool for 2-3 minutes then cut and serve immediately.
- ENJOY GUILT FREE!!!!
Stay Fancy !